Thursday, June 5, 2008

OKAY... A MAN walks into a TALENT agency

'...blah blah blah The Aristocrats!'

What better way to start my rant than to use an over-hyped and over-used inside joke told only to crowds of drunken comedians? No, 'Once upon a time' is not better. Not much better. Fine. Fuck you, I'll do it.

Once upon a time there was a man named Sam.

(Sam waves at the three people reading this).

Sam was unhappy with his job fixing things that IDIOTS had broken, so he passed the time singing songs and talking to himself behind his crappy and ineffective breathing mask. He became so good at this that he spent some time in a the psych ward at the Royal Adelaide Hospital where he learned to connect with himself and nature (he spent his free time wanking in the Botanic Gardens).

When he got out/was released, he realised that there was so many things to live for - alcohol, gaming, wallowing in self-pity, wishing that one day he would wake up dead (paradoxical I know, but we're not talking about a completely sane and rational person here). He lived life to what he perceived to be the fullest, which, funnily enough, landed him in exactly the same position he found himself in in the first place.

As the Puerto Ricans say (or at least said in South Park) '¿QuĂ©'

The point I'm getting at here, if you can see it through the quasi-fictional haze that is the above paragraph, is 'Why do we do it?' Why do we constantly throw ourselves at hopes and desires and goals only to be met with failure, and, at worst, derision and scorn?

Use myself as an example; someone who only lets the closest of friends know anything about me for... reasons of my own. Is it because I fear rejection/scorn/confrontat
ion, thus rendering my perceived 'need' to open up redundant?
Maybe, but this isn't Doctor Phil so we won't go into it any further. Close those gates, erect those barricades.

I would bet someone else's left leg (fuck losing my own), that alot of teenagers of the black hair, black nails, white face variety would say 'It's true, life is meaningless. You're born, you die.' Actually, they would say 'Your born, U die', but fuck them and their idiocy.

Fuck I hate emos.

Do they have a point though? Is our sole purpose on this little blue and green dot of ours to survive and multiply? 20 hours ago I certainly felt that it was (and that was after our stunning 13-2 win where I scored 6 goals. Go Team Scapegoat!). If you can work out the ever-elusive 'Why' which was the catalyst for this article then I'll give you 10 points.

After a day of thought (I have alot of time for this), and after many Oasis songs (I'll write about them another time), I have come to the conclusion that I hate emos and almost everything they live for. They always forget the most important part of their tiny tiny and, above all, SMALL look on life. You're born, YOU LIVE, then you die.

I'm not about to get evangelical or anything, I can promise you of that. Anyone who knows me AT ALL (do you fit in this category, hmm?) knows that I detest religion and the bullshit rhetoric that goes with it (offended? I don't care).

The LIVING part of that famous and rather depressing sentence is what matters. The reason we throw ourselves at goals and hopes and dreams and desires is that we know, we just KNOW that there will be a payoff at the end that will make everything worth it.

We play sport and stretch our bodies to exhaustion in the hopes that we will experience the euphoria of a win, and not the crushing depression of defeat.

We work at our jobs, regardless of how menial, with the knowledge that, eventually, our hard work will be rewarded (with either future careers, money, praise, or whatever else floats your boat).

We build up the courage to talk to people we've never met before in the hopes that we can enter into a relationship with them, be it, friendly, romantic, or... no, I think those are the only things things that apply here.

Our PURPOSE is to Experience. I assure you that it is deserving of the capital 'E'. Our PURPOSE is to live in a way that makes us happy. Not to make other people happy, not to make some invisible and imaginary God happy, not for 'the good of all', but for ourselves.

Be yourselves, be ourselves, be yourself, be myself.

A similar (and very applicable) E word would be 'Epiphany', and it's a good one as long as you remove the religious connotations.

It's almost funny, were it not so interesting. I started this piece/article/story with a view to write a Vodka-fueled rant about how prick-teasing women piss me off no end (string you along, then BAM! All your hopes and dreams up in a cloud of smoke), but instead I thought I'd articulate the thought process that followed that colourful snapshot.

There IS always a silver lining, there IS always an open window when the door closes, there IS always an upshot, and there is always some smartarse motherfucker stooging around waiting to expound the value of the preceding statements.

I'd just like to think that people now understand what 'silver lining' actually means.

Cheers for reading my Thursday Rant.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Here here, Reverand Sam. I turn my back for a couple of days and suddenly this blog is filled. I'm suprised with some of the things you've written here (Pleasantly suprised though).

This is the way I've reasoned life, and the assumptions I'm working under currently. If I run into anything more this may change though (Who knows, I may find God [Tounge in cheek]).

The religous folks say there is a God, he loves you, and that when you die you go to an amazing afterlife which is a great festival of awesomeness which makes the pain in your life all worth it. Be a good little servant and toe the line and you will get entry to this afterlife.

The only problem with the above is that it doesn't add up. It makes a very good story, but is impossible to prove. The religous folks then claim that "faith" is an important component of entering the afterlife. In a nutshell, believing in this story while all the evidence points to the contrary and most importantly, doing what they tell you to do.

So. What to do. If the Christians are right, there is a life after this, and there is nothing to worry about. If they're wrong, this life is pointless and when you're dead, you're a lump of decomposing matter. Either way you can't conclusively prove things one way or the other, as the Christians claim that God will not reveal himself and that your belief is part of this test. What do you do?

The answer I've settled on is, don't worry about it. It doesn't matter who is right, and who is wrong as you have absolutely no say or control over the matter. You either go to heaven, or you decompose. That's all there is to it. Worrying or crying won't change anything. Further more, this frees you completely. If life, is indeed pointless, this means that it is completely open ended. You can do anything you want. Anything at all. You don't have to please God, your parents, friends, whoever. Do whatever the fuck makes you happy as long as it doesn't hurt other people. Screw everyone else's opinions and expectations.

So in summary, it doesn't matter if there is or isn't a God. It doesn't matter that this life is pointless. As you've said, it's the creamy bit in the middle of birth and death that makes it all worth it, and living today is a better choice in my book than either crying about life's injustices or waiting for some reward in the afterlife.

Great blog, keep it up. Remember it's the quality of your readers, not the quantity which you should be using to keep score ;), and considering the people you're preaching to are your friends (Though I'm not sure if I would be included in that circle, as I don't know you well enough to do you justice), you can't go wrong really.