Thursday, June 5, 2008

Keeping Score

It's time for another Posted Note by Sam Kellett. Go me.
I didn't get a job today, so I'm in the process of an experiment I like to call 'How many Gin and Tonics does it take before you fall asleep?'

It's an interesting question, and one that I'm sure alot of people are keen to have answered. For the record, each of the G&T's I have at home = 2.5 standard drinks. I know because I measured it. Yes, I once measured my own drink because I was interested. Now fuck off.

So, as part of my experiment, I have proceeded to pour myself a couple or five. Before I got the 'LOL, you totally didn't get that job you wanted' email, I had had 2 of my drinks.

2x2.5 = 5 (for those of you playing at home).

After I got the email, I drained the new drink that was sitting next to me (number three) in a vain attempt to wash away the bad news.

3x2.5=7.5...ish

It didn't work, but it did make me feel warm inside. And immune to Malaria.

If you think that's a flippant remark, look up 'Quinine' on wikipedia, but I digress...

After receiving the email, I had a drink with dinner.

4x2.5=10 (if my math screws up, then we know that the experiment has progressed somewhat)

The drink with dinner was lovely. It was wet, it was cold, it was alcoholic, and it was gone quite quickly. Isn't learning fun?

I then decided to have an after-dinner drink (at which point I realised that I concentrate on grammar alot).

5x2.5= um... let's see... I'll take off my socks for this one... 12.5

Once again, go me. So, at this point, I'm 12.5 standards in the hole, and, as I've had these over a period of, let me check the clock, 1.5 hours, I am legally declared unfit to drive for the next... 12.5... 2 drinks in the first hour, one every after.... few hours. You have to offset that against the tonic water and the amount I've had to eat too, so I'll be ok to drive at about 2am (not that I will be, that would be stupid and sleep-depriving).

I'll keep you updated!

The next helpful Note In The Series will be 'Is Gin a depressant? Part 2'

UPDATE: (I actually typed DUPDATE, but that isn't important)

It turns out that 6 G&T's (read: 15) is what is takes to make me feel sleepy. So what I'm going to do now is sit up in bed with some Oasis playing in the background, and finish reading a book that I started reading a few days ago. If I get thirsty, I'll keep all you readers (about what, 3 of you?) in the loop.

No comments: