Monday, March 16, 2009

Okay, so I guess I *did* need that luggage

It arrived at 3pm today. Happy days. Drove to the airport with a taxi driver who informed me quite matter-of-factly that I drive a large car and am surrounded by 100 beautiful australian women everyday. Who am I to argue? If I disagreed I might not have reached the airport.

Cuzco is a city built of history. There are 600 year old Inca buildings all over the joint - even the spanish buildings are built on inca ruins. You have these mortarless black/grey foundations mounted by colonial spanish architecture. It´s phenomenal. No mortar, no glue, just good old fashioned precision. I´ll take some pics and upload them when I find a computer with a USB port (the hostel´s net is free, so I´m not arguing about the lack of an accessible USB port). The streets are narrow, ancient and cobbled, and the stairs are tall and widely-spaced, so you end up pushing yourself up stairs with one leg. Right, right, right right... pause, switch pace rate, left left left left. The altitude gets to you as far as exercise goes too. There is a shortness of breath and an elevated heart rate. When i´m walking around my heartrate sites at about 120bpm, when I´m resting it´s about 100 or so. It might be the altitude, or it might be the cocaine in this tea... I´m not entirely sure. Either way, two thumbs up!

Only took me a day or so to get used to the altitude thanks to this glorious coca tea. The leaves contain cocaine. Chuck some of the leaves in a cup, add hot water, and you´re right as rain. The leaves are about 1.5% cocaine. Chew it and your mouth goes numb. Also it has cocaine in it. Met a kiwi/aussie couple staying here, an irish couple and another gay Canadian, so I´ve had heaps of people to talk to. They too have cocaine in them. Goddam this tea is good. Going out to dinner with Sean and Emma (aussie/kiwi) tonight to sample some roasted guinea pig. Who knows, it might even have cocaine in it.

My appetite is back, and I am grateful for that. I swear it´s the climate that does it to you. Cold mountain air really works the stomach. Anyway, i´m gonna chuck on my new alpaca gloves and hat and head out to dinner. Speaking of alpacas, what does a pair of alpaca gloves and/or an alpaca beanie set you back in australia? I paid $5AUD for my gloves and $5AUD for my hat.

Buenos Noches or however the hell you spell it. NO HABLA ESPANIOL!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everything has more cocaine in it, which is fucking awesome!

Bring back some leaves... and some fruit... with flys in it. But seriously, bring back some leaves! Send it to my house, or whatever!

Buenos nacho's!

Ann K said...

Stay away from the guinea pigs!!! Don't you remember our pets -Fast Eddie Warren,Michael Jackson, Greyie, Cadbury and Nibble Dot Bottom???????
Even with a belly full of cocaine tea, HOW COULD YOU??!! LOL.
Glad to hear you are soaking up the atmoisphere (not so glad you're soaking up the COCAINE)

xxxxxxxxxMum

Sam said...

1.5% cocaine per leaf is bugger all, not as if I'm snorting the stuff lol. By the way, guinea pig is not worth the effort. It's a hilarious meal - it comes out with the head still on - but there is hardly any meat, and what meat there is is fairly salty.

Still, funny experience.
And for the record, the coca tea helps with acclimatisation. Not sure how, but it does. Gonna IV this shit to stay healthy

Ann K said...

Hi babe - by now you'll be nearing the end of your trek - hope Macchu Pichu was everything you hoped it would be and more.
All is well here. It's Denni's birthday on the 25th, so an email for her would be good brownie points (and may secure your bid for an inheritance lol)
All the best for the next leg of your adventures - hope your bag stays with you xxxxxxxxxxxxx mum

Andrew said...

Haha, sounds like you're having lots of fun, and getting into trouble to boot, which is the whole point really.

Keep it up and enjoy the trip, but remember, if you smuggle any cocaine back into the country up your ass, you have to bring enough for the whole class :P