Monday, March 9, 2009

The Americans... and some Mexicans

I landed in Mexico today after a four hour flight. You know how everyone jokes about poorer airlines? 'There's no movie because your life flashes before your eyes' or 'The wings were held on with duct tape' or 'All the hostesses looked like prostitutes (both old and young alike)' or, my favourite 'Your chair can't recline because one of the arm rests is just plain gone and the recline button has been pushed into the hole it resides in so far that it has, in fact, disappeared.'

Well, mexican airlines was very mexican. At one stage the lights flickered with an awesome 'gzzzzzzzzt!' sound which can't be done justice in text form. Very interesting.

Los Angeles. Where to begin? It's big. Really big. so big that you could fit Adelaide (from the far northern suburbs to the tip of the southern suburbs) inside it about 7 times over. The freeways are engineering masterpieces, the level of wealth in some areas is unprecedented and the danger from gangs is quite real. Not that I had any trouble of course, Josh and his folks were beyond welcoming and made me feel like I'd known them for years. The thing is, all these factors add up to a sort of depressing conclusion. You drive along the freeways and see shithole suburbs everywhere. There is traffic, there is smoke, there is overcrowding. It's not what I'd call 'progress'. Laguna Hills where Josh's folks live is a beautiful area with nice houses, streets, cars, people, but this area is just an oasis and isn't indicative of the LA 'burbs at all. If you had to live in LA, and had a choice, you'd be more than happy living in the Laguna Hills area - it's a wealthy area and as such is clean, polite and healthy.

LA is a great place to visit, but it makes me think fondly of little old Adelaide. We really don't know how lucky we are living where we live. Sure, the businesses aren't as big, and the level of money isn't even remotely comparable, but then again, neither is the stress/danger/smoke.

Landed in Mexico on time, got picked up from the airport with no dramas, and checked in to the spectacular Radisson Hacienda. It isn't exactly the heart of spring break (that's some way away), but I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. Not used to this comfortable cloistered apartment-style thing. Give me space and air and stuff and I'll be sorted. 10 pesos = $1 AUD. As a point of reference: It costs $3 AUD for 1.5L of bottled water here (and that's at the hotel store - not a supermarket), and dinner cost me $15 AUD for dinner, a beer, and a coke at the hotel restaurant. I have about 13 meals here (others are taken car of on tours and things, and the fact that I miss dinner on the last day to fly to Peru), so it looks like I'll be well under-budget even here. That's a weight off my mind.

It's strange not knowing anyone in this new country - strange in a daunting way, and a 'it's just my first night here' way. I'm sure I'll meet people here. Now if I can only find some of those Spring Break girls I've been hearing so much about...

Cheers guys,

Stay safe, don't lose your heads (But you won't, because you're not the ones in fucking Mexico LOL)

3 comments:

Abbie J said...

if you get shot / stabbed or smothered with a pinata i'm gonna be angry.

Stay safe boy.

Ann K said...

Hi Babe - good to hear you are safe. Take LOTS of photos - that way we can have a traditional style slide night- whoo hoo
Watch out for those spring break girls xxxxxxxxxxxxMum

Anonymous said...

Hi babe,

"Sure, the businesses aren't as big, and the level of money isn't even remotely comparable..."

That's a big deal for some of us!

"...then again, neither is the stress/danger/smoke."

Danger? You're doing it wrong! Sure California is one of the most dangerous areas in the US, but ... I forget what I was saying.

"Now if I can only find some of those Spring Break girls..."

I hope you packed your Rohypnlo!

"Stay safe, don't lose your heads (But you won't, because you're not the ones in fucking Mexico LOL)"

It's funny because that's a very real possibility at the moment! If you want to hang out with someone cool over there, I've heard Los Zetas and MS-13 are friendly!