Friday, March 6, 2009

First Week - Los Angeles

So, I landed safely, how awesome is that (very, you pricks). I'm typing this on my mate Josh's gay-as-hell ergonomic keyboard, so bear with the typos.

The flight was really shit. 14 hours of being uncomfortable. You know that upright angle where you're comfy, and that flat-ish angle where you;re comfy? You know that in between angle that is really uncomfortable and makes your neck feel bad? Well it was like that most of the trip. Watched The Wrestler and Twilight. Both were crap, but Twilight was crap in a hilarious way. Lost. My. Shit. Completely.

Landed in LA on time, Josh picked me up with no drama and I had my first experience on mad LA freeways. Six lanes of chaos. You need more eyes in your head for sure. Crashed out on his couch for 3 hours or so, but was woken by the news that Josh's dad had very kindly offered me the spare room at their place for the first night 'so I could have a good sleep in a proper bed and get a good proper meal.' It was awesome. Josh's dad, Dan cooked the BEST steak, my body soaked it up and I spent a good 10 hours sleeping on a crazy comfy memory foam mattress. Dan is a top bloke, really chatty and hospitable and made me feel really welcome. Also got talking about a range of stuff, so it was like talking to someone I'd known for ages. Good times.

Day 2 was chilled. We went to 'a really big US mall', but tbqh, it was the same size as Marion shopping centre. The difference of course being that Marion doesn't have Cartier, Tiffany's and Prada outlets. If you need to ask the price, you can't afford that shit. Although, I did see one wedding ring for $30k USD. Nothing says 'I love you' like a house foreclosure.

Day 3 was Disneyland and California Adventure. It's strange, and this will sound dumb, but Disney seems really plastic, fabricated and false. There is this air for forced perfection and insincerity. People are happy enough, sure... but there is just a vibe there that I didn't get. Was fun though - Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion were fantastic. Got maccas for lunch because fucked if I'm paying Disney food prices. You'll be pleased to know that Big Macs are as revolting here as back home. California Adventure is a crazy place. It's as loose as natural as Disney is regimented and forced. Great focus on adrenaline - so I was in my element. Big rush. Can tell you more when I get home of course.

Met Josh's g/f Shannon - top chick. Got us some dinner from her work - was the best. Checked out In and Out Burger today - yes chris, it's everything you said it was. Checked out Watchman too - good movie, but takes a while to make any fucking sense.

Anyway, that's pretty much it from the first few days - I can post a full critique on American culture blah bklah later on. Going to Coffee and Cars tomorrow (google it).

Stay safe guys,

Cheers

2 comments:

Sam said...

Souinds great so far - look forward to hearing more when you can xx Ann

Anonymous said...

Holy shit. Sam is talking to himself, and then at the end of it, he's symbolically kissing himself and then saying his mothers name.

Whoah, that just blew my mind!

"Disney seems really plastic, fabricated and false", YOU TAKE THAT BACK... TAKE IT BACK NOW!

Sounds like every thing's going well. If you see a game of 3 card montey on some side street, go there and play it, you can't lose!